5 Easy Recipes for Kids Who Love to Cook
Posted on August 23 2017
Have you ever heard of Masterchef Junior? The show with the notoriously dirty mouthed but seriously adorable Chef Gordon Ramsay? It’s a show where home cook kids create delicious dishes to wow some top chefs. You ever wonder if your kid could be the next Kid Master Chef? Or at least have a passion for cooking? What if I told you, you don’t have to wait till they’re teenagers (who are too busy exploring life to even go to the kitchen)? They can start cooking as early as 8 years old. Let your kids roam free in the kitchen and supervise them when they’ll be using sharp objects or equipment and you can make it into a family bonding session. Here are some easy recipes your kids can prepare for the whole family!
ALMOND FLOUR PANCAKES
This easy recipe for kids isn’t only a great first dish for your kids to prepare, it’s also really healthy because almonds are a great source of protein, magnesium, and vitamin E. This is a great addition to your kiddie menu.
- # OF SERVINGS: 4
- 1 ½ cups of blanched almond flour
- 3 medium sized eggs
- 1 cup of water or milk
- Spices like cinnamon, vanilla, blueberries or other flavors
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl using a blender till the consistency of the batter is pourable
- Check the consistency of the batter by making one test pancake
- Cook all pancakes on a pan for 2-3 minutes per side until bubbles form and both sides are golden brown. Serve.
This dish is very healthy because berries are packed with important vitamins and minerals that’s good for your baby. This easy meal is great for your kids so start making one for the whole family!
- # OF SERVINGS: 5
- 4 cups of assorted berries such as strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, etc.
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut oil or butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Syrup or organic honey
- Organic whole cream whipped with vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Grease a baking pan with coconut oil or butter
- Place the berries in the baking pan
- Combine other ingredients in a bowl with your hands until it makes a crumbly topping. You may need to adjust the almond flour up or down slightly, depending on the texture of the brand you use.
- Sprinkle the topping over the berries
- Place the baking pan into the oven and cook for 20 minutes (if you’re using fresh fruits) to 40 minutes (frozen fruit).
- When done, drizzle some organic honey or maple syrup then top with whipped organic cream with vanilla
- Serve the dish for your family!
BEEF AND CABBAGE STIR FRY
This dish is perfect for dinner because beef is an important source of protein, and cabbage is an ideal veggie you can add to your family’s diet. There are different variations to this dish so you can instruct your kids to add certain spices and flavours to bring variety each time they prepare it. Have your kids prepare this easy recipe for your whole family to enjoy.
- # OF SERVINGS: 6
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small head of cabbage, chopped
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, grated
- Cook beef in a large skillet, add salt, pepper, garlic, basil, oregano, and thyme
- When beef is almost completely browned, add sliced onions and grated carrots
- When the vegetables are starting to soften, add the cabbage then spice the dish well with salt and pepper
- Cook the dish for 10 more minutes, stirring it often until the cabbage starts to soften
- You can now serve with optional salsa or sour cream if desired
CASHEW CHICKEN LETTUCE WRAP
This dish is incredibly easy to do and is really healthy too. The chicken and cashews are a great source of protein and selenium. Lettuce is also a great addition to the dish. It can be a meal your kids can prepare for lunch or dinner.
- # OF SERVINGS: 4
- 1 pound of chicken breast or thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- ¼ cup of butter or coconut oil
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder or 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Pepper
- 1 tsp. Dried basil
- 3 tsp. Coconut aminos or naturally fermented soy sauce
- 3 tbsp. Maple syrup
- ½ cup toasted cashews
- Sliced red onions for garnish
- Bibb lettuce leaves
- Melt the butter or coconut oil and add the sliced chicken
- Sprinkle the garlic, salt, pepper, and basil then saute until chicken is almost completely cooked and is no longer translucent
- Add the coconut aminos or soy sauce and continue to stir until the liquid starts to evaporate off
- Add the maple syrup and stir for 2-3 minutes until the syrup and aminos cook down and there is very little liquid left in the pan
- Add cashews then stir until heated
- Let cool slightly and serve in lettuce leaves, topped with thinly sliced red onions
I don’t think I’ve seen a kid not love marshmallows and this recipe is something your kids will love to prepare.
- # OF SERVINGS: 6
- 4 tbsp. Pasture-raised gelatin powder
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tbsp. of marshmallow root
- 1 cup of honey
- 1 tsp. Vanilla or other flavors
- 4 capsules of probiotics
- Combine 1 cup of warm water with 1 tablespoon of marshmallow root and let it sit for 5 minutes, stir well and strain. Make sure that the liquid makes a whole cup
- Pour ½ cup of the marshmallow mix into the metal bowl and add the gelatin. Whisk slightly to incorporate and let it sit
- Pour the other ½ cup of the marshmallow mix and the 1 cup of honey into a small saucepan
- Slowly bring the marshmallow mix and honey mixture to a boil. Let it reach to at least 240 F. If not, just keep boiling, stirring constantly for 8 minutes
- Slowly start pouring the honey/marshmallow mixture into the bowl with the gelatin mix (which will be hardened by now)
- Turn on the mixer and keep on medium then mix the gelatin mixture while the honey mixture is being added
- When the honey mix is added, turn the mixer to high and blend for another 10-15 minutes or until it forms a stiff cream consistency of marshmallow cream (it should form gentle peaks)
- Add probiotics and any flavor ingredients for the last 2 minutes of mixing (except cocoa powder which can be added to the honey mix in the saucepan)
- Grease a baking dish with coconut oil, leaving some on the sides to be able to pull up
- When marshmallows are whipped, pour into the baking dish and smooth evenly
- Let it sit for 4 hours or overnight
- Flip into a cutting board and cut with a well oiled pizza cutter or knife
- Store the marshmallows in an airtight container then serve when you want to.
Hopefully, your kids will enjoy making these recipes and may your family enjoy them as well! If you have any other easy recipes that kids can do, don’t hesitate to share it with us by commenting in the comments section below.