Delicious Arroz Caldo Recipe
Posted on July 09 2018
Image source: PanlasangPinoy.com
There's nothing more filling and comforting than a delicious soup to dig in especially when the weather gets colder by the second and your hormones need a little TLC.
Indeed, you can never go wrong with soup and if you are anything like us who enjoys discovering new dishes, this famous chicken and rice recipe from the Philippines called Chicken Arroz Caldo is something you must try.
As veggie soup is to Aussies and chicken soup is to Americans, arroz caldo is a Filipino-style rice porridge or congee and is considered by many as the ultimate comfort food when you're sick and not feeling well. In the Philippines, it's a common yet lovely sight to see mums feeding their children a warm bowl of arroz caldo when their little ones have colds or their wisdom tooth had been extracted.
It's one of the best easy recipes you will encounter but it's ridiculously good! The softness of the rice balanced with the flavourful chicken meat, the ginger-infused broth, the refreshing citrus notes, and those crunchy garlic bits make this meal truly delish and comforting.
If you are looking for the best healthy and easy recipes, you better include this in your menu!
- 1 whole chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small peeled onion, sliced thinly
- 3 cloves peeled garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons peeled fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 6 to 7 cups water
- 2 - 3 bouillon cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 - 4 hard boiled eggs, halved
- fried garlic bits
- chopped green onions,
- l lemon, cut into wedges
- fish sauce (optional)
Fried Garlic Bits
- 1 head garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ cup oil
- Cut and trim chicken of unwanted fat then rinse and drain well.
- Heat oil in a pot over medium heat. Saute onions, ginger, and garlic until limp and aromatic.
- Add chicken meat and cook, stirring constantly until it turns golden brown and have rendered juices. Next, add fish sauce and continue to cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add rice and cook. Make sure to stir regularly until rice starts to appear slightly brown. Add water and bring to a boil whilst skimming scum that floats to the surface.
- Add bouillon cubes and stir well to dissolve. Turn the heat to low, cover, and simmer while stirring occasionally until the rice softens and thickens to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle on bowls. Add boiled egg and garnish with toasted garlic and chopped onions. Serve hot with lemon and additional fish sauce if you want on the side.
- For the fried garlic bits, heat oil in a small frying pan over low heat. Add garlic until crispy and golden. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
What's so nice about this dish is that it's so easy to make! For mums who are drafting their menu plans this week, it would be a good idea to include arroz caldo in your list of best quick meals to try. You can also add your preferred toppings such as crushed pork rinds and chili flakes to make it more special. Also, note that arroz caldo can be made thin or thick depending on your preference. Some people like their version with a texture similar to oatmeal or risotto while others like theirs soupier.
Ah, who else is craving for a warm bowl of their favourite soup? Can't blame you! If you want to try an equally good, new dish, you wouldn't regret trying out this particular childhood favourite.
Be right back, cooking! (Winks)
What's your ultimate comfort food? Let us know in the comment section below.