Mum Time Month: 10 Tips on how to make your Mum Feel Special any time of the Year!
Posted on May 14 2017
The love of a mother is unsurmountable. Surely, mothers all over the world can attest to this fact. It is in a mum’s nature to be caring, thoughtful, loving, and nurturing without any conditions; which is why we value the existence of our own mothers. Perhaps it is high time we do something extra special for them this Mother’s day. With all the sacrifices our mums made for us, why not try to make her feel special too? Here are some fabulous ideas for mum’s special day.
1. – Make her a special gift basket
Pre-made gift baskets are usually nice, but making a personalised one is better. Make sure to fill up the basket with her favourite goodies such as soaps, perfumes, hair care products, and makeup. You can also customise the basket by wrapping it with some cellophane and decorative tissue paper and tying it all up using a fancy bow.
2.- Prepare a special breakfast for her
Breakfast doesn’t have to be extremely fancy, but you could spruce up a breakfast tray with a couple of dainty flowers, coffee or tea, toast and eggs, and a little note telling her how much she means to you. Even better, volunteer to take charge of the kitchen for the whole day. Give her a day off from all the household chores and impress her with your culinary skills. Make your mama proud with this recipe breakfast idea you can try this weekend. Indeed, nothing beats enjoying family meals together.
- 4 cups frozen diced or shredded hash browns
- 10 frozen mini steak fries or potato wedges
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- Salsa, for serving
– Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. In a separate skillet, sautee the hash browns or potato wedges until they become crisp and golden brown. Season with salt and pepper according to taste. Drain on paper towels. (You can also bake the potatoes if you prefer.)
– In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp. butter over medium heat. Throw in the ham and vegetables and toss around for a few minutes until onions are softened. Turn off heat and let it stay in the pan.
– In a separate oven-proof skillet, layer the hash browns, vege-ham mixture, and grated cheese. Bake for a minute or two until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven carefully using an oven mitt.
– Melt the remaining butter in a non-stick skillet and fry the eggs.
– Place a few potato wedges over the top of the melted cheese then top with fried eggs. Spoon salsa or any fresh sauce you have available over the top and serve hot.
Note: This recipe makes 2 servings.
As for the beverage, Lazy Sunday Mimosa is a fab choice.
- 1 750ml bottle brut champagne
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 4 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 1/2 cup pink sanding sugar
– Dip the rims of the champagne flutes in water. Dip in the sanding sugar.
– Divide champagne into 2 glasses and add half of both orange and pineapple juices to each glass. Top with orange liqueur.
3.- Pamper her
Another great idea to celebrate mum’s special day is treating her to a relaxing massage at her favourite spa. If getting a massage is not her thing, you may opt to bring her to a beauty salon and get her glammed up – from head to toe. You can also take her on a shopping spree if that’s what she prefers. Think about it as a little payback to your mum who put your needs and necessities first before her own throughout these years.
4.- Pay her a surprise visit
If you live far away from your mum, drop by for a surprise visit. This simple gesture of love and thoughtfulness will definitely put a priceless smile on your mother’s face. Sometimes, we think that our parents are better off on their own while we deal with our own lives; but the truth is, most parents would tell you that (that they need space or are doing fantastic) so as not to interfere with your own affairs when in fact, they do miss you.
5.- Have a long walk at the beach or park
Getting in touch with nature will help your mum and you relax and feel healthy. Use this time to catch up and talk about anything and everything under the sun like you normally would. There’s no one else in the world who's got the best listening ear than mothers, besides, wouldn’t it be nice to relive the feeling of being that little ‘bubba’ again back in the days when all you ever wanted and did was to talk to your mum? If you are a mother yourself, this is a great way to share stories and ask for advice on motherhood tips.
6.- Surprise party
Gather your family and some of your mum’s closest friends for a surprise gathering honouring her. If her other friends are busy celebrating mother’s day with their own families, any random day would do.
7.- Treat her to a movie date
Everyone loves movies, and your mum would really appreciate some entertainment. Check out the ‘now showing’ flicks at your nearest cinema. Afterwards, you can head over to her favourite restaurant for dinner before driving her home.
For a customary treat, send her some chocolates and flowers along with a dainty greeting card. As an option, you can also send her a month worth of grocery supplies. To make it more special, include her favourite wine and cheese.
9.- Plan a holiday getaway
Allow you and your mum to explore new places even for a couple of days. If she prefers going to familiar places and visit people dear to her instead, consider it as an opportunity for her to reconnect with old friends or relatives. No doubt, your mum will be so happy to see them once again
10.- Take special classes together
Take a special class together such as a painting class, pottery class, or any type of class that both of you would enjoy. Also, this is a very special way to bond with your beloved mother where she can share her wisdom, insights, and some 101 parenting tips.
You can always get creative with how you can express your love and appreciation for your mum. Whatever it is, she will surely cherish and remember it forever.
When was the last time you spent quality time with your mum? Let us know in the comments section below!